Focus Days

I was planning to go to an open meeting this weekend, but for various reasons I don't feel up to it this time. I find going to opens really useful and I am sure my sailing improves each time - partly from the racing practice but also from chatting to other sailors.

But opens are a bit of a step up for a lot of us - outside the comfort zone - and they also involve the host club in plenty of extra work to publicise the event, get a race and safety team together, organise the onshore facilities and so on. All of which makes me feel guilty when I look at the weather forecast and decide to stay at home.

In the past I have gone to other sorts of open events such as the regattas on Chichester Harbour at clubs like Bosham, Chichester Yacht Club, Dell Quay and Mengham Rythe,and had a good time. It is usually just one big handicap race but that suits me and makes a great day out. It is a lot of work for the host club though and these happen once a year as a result.

This all set me thinking. Is there a "less-hassle" option that might work for sailors like me and for clubs too? For the really good sailors, an open or regional/national championship is always going to be the heart of their sailing season. But if you are not in their league, is there something else?

My idea, then, is a sort of "club racing plus" day. An opportunity for a Solo sailor to go and race at another club, meet other sailors, boost class racing, but not make a whole lot of work for the host club. 

I came up with "Focus Day" as a name to describe it.

It could work like this:

  • A club decides on a date for a Solo Focus Day
  • Visiting Solos join in normal club racing
  • Visitors pay a fee, but a bit less than for an open
  • Visitor numbers are limited so club races are not too crowded
  • There is no club prize-giving at the end
  • Club racing, so only one or two races
  • A cup of tea and a chat afterwards, but no special food laid on
  • It could happen more than once a year

I think the advantages are:

  • More boats for the Solo club racing that day
  • A chance to sail at another club
  • No extra work for the host club
  • A little extra money for the club
  • Plenty of time to chat to other Solo sailors
  • If the weather is bad, the day can be rescheduled

It might also be a good day to get non-Solo sailors into a boat. I know some clubs have a "club Solo" for people to have a go in a class they don't normally sail. Or maybe borrow the Solo Association demo boat if that is available.

I don't see it as a training day. Training days are great but they do involve a lot of organisation and Focus Days are trying to avoid that. Focus Days are just a more relaxed racing day that works for clubs as well as sailors.

What do you think? Would Focus Days make Solo sailing more fun?

Comments

Popular Posts