Real club racing

So this week I ventured out in the Sunday Solo club race. I didn't get a very good start and out of 8 Solos was only about 4th or 5th up the first beat. Must be a bit closer to the line next time.

At the end of the first beat the leader went round the mark the wrong way, which caused some chaos. But I am up to third.

A few legs later I am still third but not too far from the second boat. On our way down the lake, the leader decides to carry on towards a mark near the clubhouse. The only problem was, the course was actually around a mark much closer to us. The second boat didn't mention it and just tacked round the correct mark with me in pursuit.

I noticed behind us that the boat that went the wrong way at the end of the first beat was catching us up a bit downwind and was up to third - he is a good sailor, so I was not surprised. But as we reached the gybe mark he capsized, leaving me and the race leader quite a long way ahead of the others.

On the next beat I got closer to the boat in front and by the time we started the run up the lake we were next to each other. Now my boat+sail are quick on the run and by the next gybe mark I had the inside slot and was through to the lead.

The next two legs were reaches, so it was pretty easy to stay ahead. As we finished those reaches, the safety boat was sitting at the mark to tell us they were shortening course. Then it was another reach to the finish.

Several sailors congratulated me on the race win, but you have to laugh. It was one of those club races where an average start, following the correct course and staying out of trouble really paid off. But I'll take it 😀 ⛵



Comments

Popular Posts