Tack Inhauls

I would say controlling the tack position is more useful than the more usual clew outhaul on most dinghies. I tend to set the clew position before the start and then don't have the time during the race (unless it is really light winds) to fiddle with it.

What I need for the foot of the sail is the "off wind" position and "upwind" position, which the tack control does nicely.

So on my Solo I have an adjustment on the boom for the clew, which allows me to set the foot of the sail before the start. I added a clam cleat at the front of the boom - easy to adjust on the water, but not when you are sitting out. I know most Solos have that control led back to the helm's position, but for me that is extra string and hardware in the boat I am unlikely to use.

I do have the tack inhaul control led back to the helm position though. As I turn on to a beat I can pull this on and let it out when offwind.

Slight problem - it doesn't seem to do much when I ease it - the sail seems to stay in the same position. I am not sure if that is to do with the sail? I have had the same issue with clew outhauls. Some Laser sailors have elastic round the clew and along the boom to try to drag the clew along the boom when the outhaul is released, though that seems a lot of windage for a smallish problem.

I have tried various hardware options for the tack inhaul but settled on a short piece of cord with two knots in it and an Allen low friction ring. The knots tuck in to the mast track and hold the ring close to the mast. I use a custom "stopper" in the mast track to prevent the knots/ring sliding down the track when under tension.

...just the ring...


The stopper (in the mast track, just below the Allen low-friction ring in the photo) looks like this...


and disassembled...


You can move the stopper up and down the track if you loosen it with a screwdriver to get it where you want it.

Only the "flange nut" goes inside the track. The nylon spacer and serrated side of the flange nut lock the stopper in position and the stainless steel washer protects the nylon spacer from being damaged by the bolt head. All these are M4 (4mm) fittings and all bought on eBay. 

The "serrated flange nut" can be found in the Bolt World shop on eBay but I suspect there are other suppliers. Obviously it should be marine grade stainless steel. I think the bolt is 12mm long, but don't quote me.

The stopper will probably work for most Selden or Super Spars dinghy masts (mine is a Selden Cumulus).

The Allen low friction ring is this one:


and I used a spare bit of 4mm control line, put two knots in it with the ring between



and pushed the knots into the track so the ring was held close to the mast, just above the stopper. Then the ring can be used for the tack inhaul control line. You can pull the rope and ring up and out of the track to adjust the knots if you need to.

Other boats have pulleys tied around the mast like this


but I think my alternative is a neater solution ⛵

Comments

Popular Posts