Dropping the tiller extension

Dropping the tiller extension - especially in a breeze when tacking/gybing/just about anything tricky - usually results in chaos and even a capsize. I have done it several times more than I care to admit. I am not the only one either - even the top sailors have done it at important points during the Nationals according to the race reports.

It sometimes happens to me before a race when I am trying to adjust/put something away at the front of the boat and steering at the same time. I can only stretch so far before that tiller extension slips out of my hand again.

The problem is, the damn thing pings up into the air on that rubber joint. Then you are left clutching air and having to attempt a desperate scramble to the back of the boat to try to get hold of it again. But as you, know, I am a dreamer. What if it DID NOT ping up into the air?

So... why doesn't the tiller joint face forwards rather than being fixed to the top of the tiller? The top just seems the wrong place for it. 🤔 

Now there is probably another 3D printed fitting needed to solve this properly, but in the meantime I have had ago at bodging this with some Acetal plastic off-cuts and some bolts. It does not look too bad and seems very strong. I will be giving this a go shortly 🤞 but in the meantime here are some pictures ⛵





Update... and here is the tiller in action as I round the last mark in Monday's race!


Comments

Popular Posts